Norway to acquire hundreds of 8×8 trucks from Rheinmetall

Norway will acquire nearly 300 TG3 MIL 8×8 military trucks from German defense prime Rheinmetall in a deal worth more than 150 million euros ($162 million), with deliveries starting from late 2026.

In terms of volume, it is the largest single truck call to date under the framework contract between Rheinmetall, Norway and Sweden. Intended for the Norwegian Armed Forces, the pack includes several vehicle variants, including hook trucks, special vehicles with crane systems and hook loaders, as well as trailers and chassis.

The contract was signed on May 31 in Oslo by Gro Jeare, director of the Norwegian Defense Material Agency (NDMA) and Michael Wittlinger, chairman of the board of Rheinmetall MAN Military Vehicles GmbH (RMMV).

According to a June 7 release by Rheinmetall, the vehicles’ primary purpose will be to enhance the transport capacity and operational capabilities of the Norwegian military. The latest recall represents less than half of the necessary logistics vehicles covered by the framework convention, meaning follow-up orders from Norway and other Nordic nations are likely.

The roots of the Nordic logistic truck project reach back to 2008, when a Norwegian Army project team drew up a list of specifications for new military logistics trucks, with RMMV’s proposal winning in 2013.

Along with its Swedish rival, the Stockholm-based procurement agency FMV, NDMA signed a framework agreement on 31 March 2014 with RMMV for the supply of military logistics trucks. A related agreement covers the long-term provision of service support by RMMV.

Rheinmetall MAN Military Vehicles GmbH RMMV is a joint venture company in which Rheinmetall AG owns 51% and MAN Truck & Bus SE the remaining 49%.

See also  Canadian Army to benefit from $1.7 billion C4ISR land investment

Support of European troops

Rheinmetall provides many countries in Europe with military logistics platforms, which is an often overlooked but critical capability.

In May this year, the German Bundeswehr ordered an additional supply of 56 heavy-duty HX81 tractor units in the 70-ton payload category from Rheinmetall, to be delivered in 2023 and 2024 in a deal worth more than €50 million.

The Bundeswehr mainly uses the trucks to transport heavy armored vehicles, such as the Leopard 2 main battle tank and the PzH 2000 self-propelled howitzer.



Read the original at Defence247.gr

Related Posts