From Wednesday 7 to Thursday 8 June 2023 and in the presence of the Chief of Staff of the NATO Maritime Interdiction Operational Training Center (I) George Kyriakos as the representative of the Chief of the NATO Maritime Interdiction Operational Training Center General Konstantinos Floros, the 14th Annual Conference of the Maritime Interdiction Operational Training Center (KENAP/ NMIOTC), on “Energy Security and the Maritime Interdiction? A Road to Pave in a Complex Contemporary Security Environment”, in Souda, Crete.
The Conference was attended by 105 delegates from 26 countries and International Organizations, as well as representatives of the academic community and the defense and maritime industry. During its work, the complexity of the issue of energy security was highlighted, making the special added value of the Conference in the direction of drawing conclusions and proposals on the issue indisputable.
In this context, the decisive role of KENAP/NMIOTC was confirmed, especially in the field of maritime deterrence, through which the field of energy security is also ensured, as for a number of years it has contributed to the efforts to upgrade Allied capabilities in this direction.
The main speakers at the Conference were:
• The Operation Commander (OPCDR) of the European Union Naval Force Mediterranean Operation IRINI (EUNAVFOR MED IRINI) Rear Admiral (UH) Stefano Turchetto.
• The Director of Operations of the European Union Military Staff (EUMS) Brigadier General Bart Laurent.
• NATO’s Assistant Secretary General for Emerging Security Challenges, Mr. David van Weel, via teleconference.
• The Political Advisor of NATO’s Allied Maritime Command (MARCOM) Professor James Henry Bergeron.
The Conference was also attended by:
• The Vice-Chief General Vice-Admiral Konstantinos Vlachos PN.
• Deputy Commander of the Bulgarian Navy Flotilla Admiral Georgi Penev.
• Rear Admiral Gunnstein Bruåsdal NOR (N), Deputy COS Partnerships Directorate at SHAPE.
• The Deputy Chief of Staff – Plans NRDC-GR Brigadier General Giovanni Parmiggiani ITA (A).
• Commodore Drew Stacey, Royal Navy, Commander Fleet Operational Standards and Training (COMFOST).
Read the original at Defence247.gr